A history of St Marks

St Marks’ Heyside.

 

The Parish Church of St Marks’ was first consecrated in 1878. It was built on land donated by the Rev. W Cumming-Macdona and funded by local cotton mill owner, Mr Richard Fitton.  The Cornerstone for the building having been on Good Friday a year earlier by Mrs Macdona.  The Church cost £3,500 to build and had seating for 400.

 

Mr Fitton also donated the land for the Ede Institute which opened in 1868 and still stands as our Church hall today.  Originally, the Ede Institute was the village school, Sunday school and worship centre with visiting Clergy from Royton officiating at services.  This remained as the village school until Blackshaw Lane school was built in 1903.

 

Significant changes to the Church Building over the years have included:

  • The stone Reredos and tiled floor in the Chancel in 1880
  • The Organ was installed in 1893 ( in what is now the Chapel)
  • Around 1900 Choir stalls, Caen Stone pulpit and Brass Lectern added.
  • 1902 saw the grounds landscaped.
  • 1902 the Baptistry and the East window installed
  • 1907 the Vicarage was built
  • 1912 Oak Chancel screen, altar rail and Marble Nave floor added
  • In 1916 the majestic West window, depicting the “Adoration of the Lamb” was dedicated.
  • Around 1920 the first PCC and Electoral roll compiled with 1400 members.
  • In 1925 the War Memorial was erected.
  • 1928 the central panel of the Reredos has the Figures of the Resurrection added.
  • 1961, the Garden of Remembrance was created.
  • 1971 following complete transformation, the Church in its present form was dedicated.  The Organ having been replaced at the rear of the Church, the organ loft becoming the Chapel of the Living Christ.  The Altar was brought forward into the space created by removal of the Choir stalls.  The Chancel screen used to create the screen for the Chapel, and the font brought to the front of the Church.
  • The Church was closed for 9 Months while the ceiling was replaced following damp. Services were conducted in the Parish Hall for the duration of the restoration work.

 


Our History
Webpage icon 1928 - 50th Anniversary Booklet part 1
Webpage icon 1928 - 50th Anniversary Booklet part 2
Webpage icon Clergy Past and Present